Making Immigration
Issues Easier For YOU

Offering full-service immigration representation for over 30 years.

Globe Banner
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Immigration
  4.  » Green Cards

Securing Lawful Permanent Residence in the U.S.

If you or your loved one is in the United States on a family-related visa or business-based visa, you may wish to obtain a green card and become a lawful permanent resident (LPR). You may even desire to become a naturalized U.S. citizen. Adjusting status from a visa to a green card to a naturalized citizen is a lengthy, ever-changing process that can be very complex and confusing.

We are a full-service immigration law firm. For a free initial telephone consultation with an experienced South Carolina and New York green card lawyer, call 843-376-4085 or toll free at 888-370-5810. You may also contact us online. We have offices in Charleston, and Flushing, New York.

You Do Not Have to Navigate the Process Alone

At The Kasen Law Firm, LLC, we are here to guide you every step of the way in obtaining a green card. Our lead attorney, Lawrence M. Kasen, has more than 30 years of legal experience and is available to assist you in navigating the U.S. immigration process. We provide immigration services to individuals, families and businesses seeking admission to the U.S. to be with loved ones or for employment. It often seems overwhelming to immigrants, non-immigrants and employees trying to obtain a green card. You do not have to approach the federal government and the immigration laws by yourself.

Understanding the Process

In order to adjust to lawful permanent resident status, an individual must be physically present in the U.S. In the case of a fiancé, you may apply for a green card if you become married to your fiancé within 90 days of your arrival in the U.S. If you are a spouse, minor child or parent of a U.S. citizen, you are deemed to be an immediate relative and therefore able to adjust status as long as you entered the U.S. with a valid family visa and your entry was with inspection, admission or parole.

If you are here on a K-1 visa or K-3 visa as the fiancé or spouse of a U.S. citizen, you can petition to obtain a green card. If you are married less than two years at the time you apply for the green card, you will be given a “conditional green card.” You have 21 to 24 months after the issuance of the conditional green card to petition to have the conditions removed. If you are still married at the time of the petition, then adjusting status to that of a lawful permanent resident is usually accomplished without complication. If you are no longer married at the time you seek to remove the conditions, it is still possible to adjust status, but with more difficulty. The Kasen Law Firm, LLC, will guide you through the entire process.

Guidance With Business Visas and Green Cards

If you entered the U.S. on a business or employment visa, your ability to get a green card will depend on the exact type of visa you hold. Some business visas do not allow for adjustment to green card status. Others, such as the L-1 visa, do allow adjustment. You should speak with our immigration lawyers before making any decisions regarding your status.

In the business visa context, it is critical to apply for a green card before your visa expires. Failure to do so may prevent you from adjusting status to an LPR. However, in the family visa context, if you are in the U.S. as the spouse of a U.S. citizen, it is still possible to adjust status even if your visa has expired so long as your original entry into the country was legal.

You may also adjust to green card status upon being granted asylum in the U.S. or if you currently have refugee status.

Who Is Not Eligible for a Green Card?

Some individuals are not eligible to adjust to green card status. The individuals who are not eligible include, without limitation:

  • Those who entered the U.S. in transit without a visa
  • Those who were not inspected, admitted or paroled by immigration officials
  • Those employed in the U.S. without authorization
  • Those with expired business visas
  • Those persons admitted as fiancées who never married the U.S. citizen who filed the petition

We Are Here to Help: Contact a Charleston Lawful Permanent Residency Lawyer

Securing a green card and becoming a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. on your path toward naturalization is a great achievement. With the help of an experienced immigration attorney, you can be confident that the process will go smoothly. We are here to answer any questions you may have. For a free initial telephone consultation and to schedule an appointment, call 843-376-4085 or toll free at 888-370-5810. You may also contact us online. With offices in Charleston, and Flushing, New York, we serve clients throughout the United States and around the world.

Testimonials Available Upon Request.