Making Immigration
Issues Easier For YOU

Offering full-service immigration representation for over 30 years.

Globe Banner
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Immigration
  4.  » Fiancé(e) and Marriage Visas

Immigration for a Spouse or Intended Spouse

If you are a United States citizen and are engaged to be married to a foreign national, or are married to a foreign national, the immigration laws provide an avenue for you to bring your loved ones and his or her minor child(ren) into the United States to begin your life together. To ensure that the process goes smoothly, it is best to seek the advice of an experienced immigration attorney.

At The Kasen Law Firm, LLC, you will find the experienced, knowledgeable immigration representation you need. Our founding attorney, Lawrence M. Kasen, has more than 30 years of legal experience. We can help you apply for the visas and get the other family immigration services that will enable you to fulfill your hopes and dreams of a life in the United States.

We are a full-service immigration law firm. For a free initial telephone consultation with a dedicated and experienced immigration lawyer, call 843-376-4085 or toll free at 888-370-5810. You may also contact us online. We have offices in Charleston, and Flushing, New York.

Guiding You Through the Immigration Process

We understand the stress and anxiety that can result from the uncertainty that comes with applying for a visa to bring your fiancé(e) or spouse to the U.S. You do not have to navigate the complex U.S. immigration laws on your own. We are ready to explain the process and help you fulfill all the necessary requirements for obtaining the visa you need. When you come to our firm, we will sit down with you and discuss all the immigration options you may have.

Visa Options for Fiancé(e)s and Spouses

Regardless of whether you are seeking to bring a fiancé(e) (K-1 Visa) or a spouse to the U.S. (K-3 Visa), the process starts with correctly filling out USCIS Form I-129F. As the U.S. citizen, you must establish evidence of your U.S. citizenship. In the case of a fiancé(e) visa, you must also demonstrate that you met your fiancé(e) within the last two years and that you and your fiancé(e) intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the U.S.

In addition, as a U.S. citizen, you will most likely be required by the U.S. consulate in your fiancé(e)’s or spouse’s country to demonstrate that you can sponsor, or economically support, your fiancé(e) or spouse. The federal government specifies the level of income and assets you must have in order to qualify as a sponsor, and we will help you understand these requirements.

If you are applying for a K-1 visa for your fiancé(e) or a K-3 visa for your spouse, you likely have many questions such as:

  • How long does it take to get a visa? Typically, the process takes five to six months.
  • What about prior marriages? You and your fiancé(e) or spouse must have proper documentation showing that any earlier marriages were terminated.
  • How can I show that my marriage is valid? A marriage must be “bona fide.” This means that your marriage was entered into in good faith and not solely for immigration purposes. Every couple’s situation is different, and we can help you prove this when necessary.
  • What documents are needed? You and your fiancé(e) or spouse will need to present a number of documents, including, without limitation: birth certificates or naturalization documents, passport photos, personal statements, divorce decrees and arrest records. The U.S. citizen will also need to provide three years of income tax returns, three recent pay stubs and an employment verification letter.

The process of obtaining a K-1 visa or K-3 visa can be quite confusing. We have a wealth of experience dealing with these and other family immigration issues, and we will put that experience to work for you.

Taking Action to Unite Your Family

If your spouse or fiancé(e) is already in the U.S. on a visa, we can explain the eligibility requirements for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) so that your loved ones do not have to depart the U.S. Our firm can also assist with seeking changes in status, as needed.

We understand how important it is for you and your fiancé(e) or spouse to be able to reside together here in the U.S. With the help of experienced immigration attorneys, you can be confident that the process of securing a fiancé(e) visa or marriage visa will go smoothly. We are here to answer any questions you may have. For a free initial telephone consultation, call 843-376-4085 or toll free at 888-370-5810. You may also contact us online.

Testimonials Available Upon Request