The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
Call Us Today
For Your Free Telephone Consultation
Local: 843-376-4085 Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Over 30 Years Of Experience

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visas Archives

Could same-sex couples soon have more immigration rights?

United States citizens who are married or engaged to foreign nationals have the opportunity to apply for a K-1 fiancé visa or a K-3 spouse visa. That is, if the fiancé or spouse is of the opposite sex. On the other hand, same-sex couples have an extremely difficult time obtaining green cards for their foreign-born spouses, even if the couple is legally married in one of the states that recognize same-sex marriage.

Obtaining a green card for a fiancé or spouse

Under United States immigration laws, U.S. citizens are given an avenue to bring their foreign national fiancés or spouses into the country so they can spend their lives together. But the laws surrounding applying for fiancé visas and marriage petitions are complex, and few situations are black and white.

What does it mean to have a 'conditional' green card?

If you enter the United States on a K-1 or K-3 visa as the fiancé or spouse of a United States citizen, you can petition to obtain a green card. However, if you have been married for less than two years at the time you apply, you will be given a "conditional" green card.

Two issues regarding fiancé and marriage visas explained

Under federal law, United States citizens are allowed to bring a fiancé or spouse who is a foreign national into the country through the legal immigration process. However, the laws are very complex and confuse most people in South Carolina and elsewhere.

Bi-national same-sex couples struggle with immigration issues

United States citizens who are engaged to be married to a foreign national can use the immigration laws as an avenue to bring their loved ones into the country to begin their life together. However, there is stress and anxiety that goes along with applying for fiancé visas and marriage petitions.

Non-marriage by K-1 Fiancé(e) bar to adjustment of status

DID YOU KNOW that a K-1 fiancé(e) visa holder who fails to marry his or her U.S.-citizen spouse after entry to the United States is barred from seeking an adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident of the United States. The relevant statutory scheme and regulations require that a K-1 nonimmigrant must marry his or her U.S.-citizen fiancé(e) spouse within ninety days after admission. Strict compliance with this requirement will enable the K-1 and dependent minor children to adjust status as conditional residents, which conditions will be removed upon filing a timely petition to remove conditions of residence (within 21 to 24 months after the granting of the conditional residence). Adjustment of status is permissible even if the marriage takes place outside of the ninety days as long as the marriage is to the U.S. citizen who originally filed a petition for the K-1 with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Office Locations

The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
768 Saint Andrews Boulevard
Charleston, SC 29407

Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Phone: 843-376-4085
Fax: 843-821-0046
Charleston Law Office Map

The Kasen Law Firm, PLLC
136-20 38th Avenue, Suite 3C
Flushing, NY 11354

Phone: 718-337-8012
Fax: 843-821-0046
Flushing Law Office Map

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1865
Summerville, SC 29484