The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
Call Us Today
For Your Free Telephone Consultation
Local: 843-376-4085 Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Over 30 Years Of Experience

Family Immigration Archives

Immigration visas for foreign fiancés or fiancées

South Carolina residents may know that U.S. citizens who marry foreign nationals can petition United States Citizenship and Immigration Services for a visa, but they might not know that the process is different for a fiancé or fiancée and a husband or wife. Citizens who marry abroad must complete USCIS form I-130, Petition for Alien relative. Those who get engaged overseas but plan to marry in the United States must complete USCIS form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancée.

Expect heavy scrutiny for a K-1 visa

If a South Carolina resident wants to marry a foreign partner, a K-1 visa for a fiancée provides an avenue for that other party to come to the United States. However, the December 2015 mass shooting in San Bernardino may result in more extensive consideration of those seeking such visas. A couple that used such a visa were the alleged perpetrators of the event, which has drawn increased attention to this form of entry into the country. Approximately 50,000 individuals make use of this visa option each year.

The green card application process for widows of US citizens

South Carolina residents who wish to apply for a green card may be interested in the residency process for widows and widowers of U.S. citizens. If the requirements are met, the application is relatively straightforward.

Obtaining a fiancé visa

Some South Carolina residents contemplating marriage to a foreign national may wonder what process is used to bring that individual to this country for the wedding. In order for a U.S. citizen to bring his or her fiancé into the United States, there are routine procedures that must be followed.

Permanent residents and family immigration rules

There are many lawful permanent residents of the United States who would like to be able to bring their children to join them in South Carolina or another state. They may not be aware that under U.S. immigration law, permanent residents are allowed in some cases to petition to bring their children to the country, depending upon the age and marital status of the children.

Obtaining visas for foreign-born spouses in South Carolina

There are avenues by which a United States citizen may seek permission for a foreign spouse or fiancé(e) to immigrate. It may even be possible to bring their minor children to the country as you start a new life together. However, immigration law can be complicated, making it important to be thorough and accurate as you complete the paperwork needed in seeking proper permissions.

What is a K-1 Visa?

A South Carolina resident who is engaged to be married to a person who is not a citizen of the United States may sponsor his or her significant other on a K-1 visa application. The K-1 visa allows a non-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States in order to get married.

Overview of South Carolina immigration laws

Federal legislation, along with laws enacted in South Carolina, provide extensive information on a person's immigration status and on the rights they receive based on that status. The government addresses checks through employers, E-verify laws, voting, restrictions on government benefits, law enforcement checks and background information obtained by educational institutions.

High numbers of immigrants fail to report to agents

The overwhelming influx of Central American immigrants in recent months has stretched many communities' resources, including some in South Carolina. While numbers are sketchy, it is estimated that up to 70 percent of those released into communities have failed to obey directions to report back to immigration agents within 15 days. An audio recording of a meeting between U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and advocates for individuals seeking family immigration was obtained by the Associated Press and provided insight on the matter. However, the AP has unsuccessfully attempted to get official comment on the numbers involved.

Supplemental help not offered in South Carolina to immigrants

A September 2014 report from the Pew Charitable Trust shows that the foreign-born population of South Carolina has grown at a faster rate than that of any other state. The report is based on family immigration figures recorded between 2010 and 2012. The report also found that South Carolina is one of 10 states that offer no supplementary benefits to immigrants or their families.

Office Locations

The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
768 Saint Andrews Boulevard
Charleston, SC 29407

Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Phone: 843-376-4085
Fax: 843-821-0046
Charleston Law Office Map

The Kasen Law Firm, PLLC
136-20 38th Avenue, Suite 3C
Flushing, NY 11354

Phone: 718-337-8012
Fax: 843-821-0046
Flushing Law Office Map

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1865
Summerville, SC 29484