The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
Call Us Today
For Your Free Telephone Consultation
Local: 843-376-4085 Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Over 30 Years Of Experience

Citizens may stop foreign spouses from obtaining green cards

While there are many legitimate international marriages, South Carolina residents are sometimes taken advantage of by foreign-born individuals who are simply looking for a green card. If a U.S. citizen marries a non-U.S. citizen who did not enter the marriage in good faith, there are some steps that the U.S. citizen can take to ensure their spouse does not obtain a permanent green card.

After marrying a U.S. citizen, a foreign-born person will receive a two-year conditional permanent resident card. The conditional status will become permanent status after the U.S. citizen spouse signs the non-citizen spouse's petition for a permanent card. If the citizen spouse does not sign the petition and does not agree to divorce the non-citizen spouse, the non-citizen spouse may end up getting deported when the conditional resident card expires.

A non-citizen spouse may apply for permanent resident status without help from their U.S. citizen spouse if the marriage ended in divorce or annulment. To do this, the non-citizen spouse must prove that the marriage was bona fide and that the marriage was entered into the marriage in good faith. Non-citizen spouses may also obtain permanent green cards by proving that they were victims of spousal abuse or by showing evidence that leaving the country would cause extreme hardship.

A U.S. citizen who is unsure what to do about a marriage to a foreign national may want to discuss the situation with an immigration attorney. An attorney may be able to help an individual to understand how certain actions will affect the other party's immigration status.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Locations

The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
768 Saint Andrews Boulevard
Charleston, SC 29407

Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Phone: 843-376-4085
Fax: 843-821-0046
Charleston Law Office Map

The Kasen Law Firm, PLLC
136-20 38th Avenue, Suite 3C
Flushing, NY 11354

Phone: 718-337-8012
Fax: 843-821-0046
Flushing Law Office Map

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1865
Summerville, SC 29484