The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
Call Us Today
For Your Free Telephone Consultation
Local: 843-376-4085 Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Over 30 Years Of Experience

Obtaining a fiancé visa

Some South Carolina residents contemplating marriage to a foreign national may wonder what process is used to bring that individual to this country for the wedding. In order for a U.S. citizen to bring his or her fiancé into the United States, there are routine procedures that must be followed.

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, if a citizen intends to get married in this country to a foreign national who lives in his or her own country, the citizen needs to file a fiancé visa for that individual. This visa, identified as I-129F, should be filed if the marriage will occur 90 days after the individual arrives. In order to file, any prior marriages must be null and void. Generally, the individuals must have seen one another within the previous two years unless there is a cultural or religious reason that this might not happen or if it would have been impossible to do.

The fiancé visa allows the foreign national to stay in this country for a period of 90 days. If the marriage does not occur, he or she must return to the country of origin. However, once the marriage occurs, the new spouse may file to become a permanent resident. While USCIS reviews the application, the spouse may remain in the country. If the application is returned, a new application may be filed.

Immediately after the fiancé application is approved, the foreign national may apply for a work visa. Once the marriage occurs, the spouse may ask to have his or her work visa extended while an application for permanent residence is processed.

Marriage plans, in such cases, despite the happiness of the situation, demand that certain requests be fulfilled. Contacting an attorney may be helpful so all requirements are met.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Locations

The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
768 Saint Andrews Boulevard
Charleston, SC 29407

Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Phone: 843-376-4085
Fax: 843-821-0046
Charleston Law Office Map

The Kasen Law Firm, PLLC
136-20 38th Avenue, Suite 3C
Flushing, NY 11354

Phone: 718-337-8012
Fax: 843-821-0046
Flushing Law Office Map

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1865
Summerville, SC 29484