The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
Call Us Today
For Your Free Telephone Consultation
Local: 843-376-4085 Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Over 30 Years Of Experience

What is the process of replacing a green card?

A foreign-born individual who has legal permanent resident status in South Carolina will have to replace his or her green card if it is lost, stolen, damaged or completely destroyed. A green card should also be replaced if it contains information that is incorrect, or some of the information on the card has changed. A change from commuter status to resident status or vice versa would also necessitate a green card replacement.

Permanent residents and conditional residents can both apply for a replacement green card by filing Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. The form can be filed online or by mail. Those who need a replacement green card while they are outside of the U.S. can also apply online or by mail, but they should contact a U.S. consulate, port of entry or USCIS office before applying.

If an application for a replacement green card is accepted, the applicant will be sent a replacement card in the mail that has a new expiration date. A person who is denied a replacement green card will receive a letter explaining the reasons for the negative decision. Although the decision cannot be appealed, the applicant may file a motion to reopen or reconsider the decision at the office where the application was submitted.

A legal permanent resident who loses their wallet while they are on vacation might need to apply for a green card replacement. If the individual is not in the U.S., they will have to contact the U.S. consulate where they are located. To lower the chances of having an application delayed or denied, a person in this type of situation might want to seek help from an immigration attorney.

Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, "Replace a Green Card", Feb. 11, 2011

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Locations

The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
768 Saint Andrews Boulevard
Charleston, SC 29407

Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Phone: 843-376-4085
Fax: 843-821-0046
Charleston Law Office Map

The Kasen Law Firm, PLLC
136-20 38th Avenue, Suite 3C
Flushing, NY 11354

Phone: 718-337-8012
Fax: 843-821-0046
Flushing Law Office Map

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1865
Summerville, SC 29484