The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
Call Us Today
For Your Free Telephone Consultation
Local: 843-376-4085 Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Over 30 Years Of Experience

Permanent residents and family immigration rules

There are many lawful permanent residents of the United States who would like to be able to bring their children to join them in South Carolina or another state. They may not be aware that under U.S. immigration law, permanent residents are allowed in some cases to petition to bring their children to the country, depending upon the age and marital status of the children.

In order to petition on behalf of a child, the lawful permanent resident will be required to complete Form I-130, pay the filing fee and submit all of it together with certain items of required documentation. Documentation of the relationship between the parent and his or her child is required, as is proof that the petitioner has current lawful permanent residet status.

If the children are those of the lawful permanent resident's spouse, the resident will need to supply a copy of his or her marriage certificate along with proof of the biological relationship between the spouse and children. Step-parents will also need to supply a marriage certificate, and adoptive parents will need to supply a copy of the final decree of adoption. If the child is already living in the United States, the lawful permanent resident will need to file a form I-485 to adjust the child's status and register his or her residence.

It is important for lawful permanent residents to be able to reunite with family. Because of these familial bonds, U.S. immigration law allows residents to petition on behalf of their family members so they may all live together in the country. Those who need more information may want to speak with an immigration and naturalization attorney.

Source: FindLaw, "Bringing Children of Permanent Residents into the U.S.", accessed on Feb. 18, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Locations

The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
768 Saint Andrews Boulevard
Charleston, SC 29407

Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Phone: 843-376-4085
Fax: 843-821-0046
Charleston Law Office Map

The Kasen Law Firm, PLLC
136-20 38th Avenue, Suite 3C
Flushing, NY 11354

Phone: 718-337-8012
Fax: 843-821-0046
Flushing Law Office Map

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1865
Summerville, SC 29484