The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
Call Us Today
For Your Free Telephone Consultation
Local: 843-376-4085 Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Over 30 Years Of Experience

Did you know USCIS makes house calls?

This post will be discussing two questions that were posed in a Q&A article from the New York Daily News and answered by an experienced immigration lawyer.

The first involved a man whose wife was in need of applying for another green card, but she is homebound and cannot visit an immigration office to do so. Luckily, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is willing to make house calls for individuals who are homebound, hospitalized or institutionalized.

The lawyer said these in-person visits are available to people who are applying to renew green cards, applying for citizenship or other status changes that require an interview and fingerprinting. Appointments can be made by calling USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC) or sending a letter to your local USCIS office asking for a "disability accommodation request."

Another issue that was addressed in the article had to do with bringing a relative child into the United States who was orphaned in another country. The immigration lawyer wrote that the person's options depended on whether she is a U.S. citizen.

If she is a citizen and at least 25-years-old or married, the lawyer said she could possibly bring the child to the United States as her “child” on an Orphan petition. This process could potentially take less than a year, the attorney explained.

However, one thing to keep in mind, the lawyer said, is that USCIS will require a home study done to ensure that the family has the space and resources to provide for the child before the orphan petition will be granted.

Source: New York Daily News, "Immigration: Bring homebound will not prevent would-be permanent residents from applying for a green card," Allan Wernick, May 1, 2013

Office Locations

The Kasen Law Firm, LLC
768 Saint Andrews Boulevard
Charleston, SC 29407

Toll Free: 888-370-5810
Phone: 843-376-4085
Fax: 843-821-0046
Charleston Law Office Map

The Kasen Law Firm, PLLC
136-20 38th Avenue, Suite 3C
Flushing, NY 11354

Phone: 718-337-8012
Fax: 843-821-0046
Flushing Law Office Map

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1865
Summerville, SC 29484